Saturday, August 25, 2012

Prayer vs Evil

My mother offered me a bumper sticker for my car today!  I haven't had a bumper sticker on my car in years.  I think she realized that if I was going to put anything on my car, this would be it.  It says "Prayer, Our Best Defense Against Evil" and I think I'm actually going to put it on my car.  

This is something I have learned quite well over recent years.  Whenever things are going wrong, and my thoughts are turning to evil, I like to bring myself back to the Lord with a bit of prayer.  I think this is what I like so much about praying the Liturgy of the Hours.  By design, it is meant to bring us back to prayer multiple times a day.  Five to seven times a day we come back and read a bit, offer praise, sing hymns, and just re-focus our day.

You know, it just blows me away to realize that so many people feel that it is only for priests and religious.  It is meant for us all, as we are all asked to pray without ceasing.  It is an obligation for priests and religious, but it is also recommended for the laity.  I have made a promise to myself, as well as a commitment when I became an Oblate of Conception Abbey, to pray this daily as well.  It frustrates me when others do not take my commitment seriously because its not a "vow."  It's still a commitment to the Lord, and one I intend to keep...even if its not always easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment