Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Persecution!

Somebody brought it to my attention today that I could be viewed by some as overzealous in my faith.  My initial reaction was slightly disturbed that this person felt this way.  As I was also dealing with some other emotional issues at that moment, the only thing I could think to do was pray about it.  I know, what a conundrum!

After that I decided to go for a walk.  While doing so, I had some time to think and ask God, "Why must I endure this suffering and persecution?"  I was reminded of the fact that today is the day that the church remembers the beheading of John the Baptist.  As was said by a priest in the past, "His persecutor had not demanded that he should deny Christ, but only that he should keep silent about the truth."  John the baptist spent his whole life spreading the truth, and I feel that not doing so, would be the same as denying Him.

I don't really want to die for what I believe, but I don't want to lose everything I have left either.  That said, I cannot deny Christ by not sharing what I believe either.  When we go through dark periods of our life, we may do so because we have lost sight of the truth for a time.  That does not mean that we should have to be separated from those who entered our lives during that dark time.

No comments:

Post a Comment